04 Jan Skills that every marketer needs to have in 2019
Marketing is a wonderful career full of creativity, challenges, and a constant opportunity for growth. However, it is also a race that moves at the speed of light, with new tools and trends that take over everything and one as a professional has to adapt or die.
Although talent is undoubtedly one of the most important things to have in this field, we wanted to collect a set of skills that every marketer needs to have today to stay current, producing incredible content and offering unique perspectives to achieve objectives.
1. Storytelling. The magic of telling stories. Telling narratives and building stories full of emotion that are able to connect with audiences is a challenge that must be assumed. Knowing how to tell stories has a lot to do with having talent and love writing, but it is also deeply connected to understanding human emotions, what moves them, what makes them smile, what makes them take decisions.
There are numerous formulas to write stories, it is simply to understand them and choose the one that best suits our needs. This is a skill that many agencies are going to value deeply and are indispensable in a marketing strategy. My personal favorite is the 22 rules of storytelling from Pixar.
2. Creativity. It seems obvious, but not necessarily. There are minds designed to focus on pragmatism, metrics, numbers, and quantitative data. And that is okay, and very necessary when it comes to plan campaigns. But we also need people with creative minds that are ready to take ideas to the next level, to come up with something that no one else has done before, recognize her/his surroundings and connect the dots.
A great marketer needs to constantly have fresh ideas to offer solutions to his clients.
3. Listening. Having good listening skills is key when you are a marketer. It’s not all about the talking, but actually being able to listen and understand. If you have this skill, you’ll be able to always understand what you’re clients want, how they see their brand so you can see it as well, and begin the plans being perfectly synchronized with them.
4. Understand data and metrics. As I mentioned before, understanding data and metrics is also a key skill for a marketer. You don’t have to be an expert necessarily, but you do need to understand the basic concepts. Take some time to nurture yourself with knowledge, make a few of online courses about Google Analytics and expand your knowledge.
5. Results-oriented. Every marketer NEEDS to have objective goals and being able to measure final results according to these goals. The only way to tell if you’re doing right, or you need to change something in your strategy, is to be able to see it through measurable results.